Monday, January 16, 2012

WHAT CAN I DO?...1


Prof Pamela Reeve was our counseling teacher at Multnomah Biblical Seminary. We were blessed to spend some time with her this month. She has such a profound influence on both our lives. She says in a recent prayer letter..."The glory of God in the old testament was a consuming fire. Now it is a transorming power".

As we've traveled around visiting with loved ones these past few months, I've been struck with how many people have said they had felt like they didn't know what to say while we were going thru chemo and radiation. I've been wondering if it might be helpful for me to write down some of the things I felt I needed, my prayer being that it might be an encouragment to others... to feel confident and comfortable to reach into the lives of those who might be hurting. I'll do it in bits, hence the ...1.

The first thing that comes to mind is 3 simple words that meant more than anything. More than scripture verses, more that words of wisdom, more than anything. Those most healing words were... "I love you". They couldn't change the course of cancer. They did, however, help more than anything. They helped me feel like I wasn't alone. They brought hope into a dark place. Why is that I wondered? Love comes from God. So it makes sense doesn't it, that love would bring a sense of wellness that is beyond our ability to understand.

When a loved one told me they loved me, I felt Jesus saying it in my ear too :)

We all say "I love you' in different ways - whether by words, acts of service, spending time, touch or even gifts (read The Five Languages of Love for more information). Isn't it wonderful to know that we can really, really help with these 3 simple words.

Lord, help us to grow in how to say "I love you" to others, especially those who might be hurting.

1 comment:

  1. Great Picture, Great words, hope your mum and family are doing okay. Love Nita.

    ReplyDelete