Monday, August 6, 2012

BEING...


So often we can forget to 'be' there for the ones closest to us...

I was talking with a friend recently who was going through a difficult time.  She said something that has stayed with me and challenged me on many levels in my spiritual life.  I asked her how she was doing.  Her response was… ‘I’m trying to be the right person…’.  Here my mature Jesus- follower friend, who was secure in her identity in Christ, still was having to work at ‘being’ the ‘right’ person for Christ. 

Our feelings don’t always direct us to actions that bring glory to our Lord do they?  When we’re led by our feelings, we often end up ‘being’ the wrong person.  I began pondering how that worked itself out in a situation of trial.  I’m not a believer in putting on the ‘happy’ face or pretending that something isn’t as bad as it truly is.  I’m a realist.  I know Jesus is big enough to cope with all my deliberations.  As I was asking Him about it, He brought my thoughts to a time during chemo….

I was lying feeling awful on my bed.  The kids were playing in the lounge and Mark was outside working.  I was crying to the Lord to let me live.  Desperately telling Him how much Mark and the kids needed me around for just a while longer.  Telling Him how much I’d love to see each of the kids finish school, get married and have their own children.  And, how much I would love to share that all with my wonderful husband.  As I cried, His still small voice said, ‘Give them to me again, I love them’.  Knowing that my Father knew my hearts cry, I said to Him…  ‘You know what I want Lord, but you know best… I submit to your will’.  What followed was not earth shattering to anyone else but me.  As I said those words to Him, I felt a relaxedness inside.  A peace that did not come from me.  My action that day (and I wish I could say I was as obedient each day, I wasn’t), effected no one else.  But, it allowed me to be the person He needed me to be then. 

I pondered that peace.  It wasn’t because He was holding me closer.  No, He holds me tight always.  But, it was like a child who fights his or her parent, eventually giving in and relaxing in the parents arms.  Snuggling in even tho distressed.  That’s how I felt that day. 

Oh to live each moment ‘being’ the right person for Him. 

I know, for me, it doesn’t mean always having a happy face.  But, I know that even when I share whats on my heart honestly, I still need to bring my eyes and heart to that place of remembering the truth.  In this case the truth was… He is in control, He loves them.  Too many times, I’ve left my process unfinished.  Not remembering His truth at the end of each conversation, is being that child, fighting not resting in Dad’s arms during the distressing time. 

Jesus your arms are safe, sure, trustworthy, stronger than anything we face and always around Your children.  Help us to rest in them more… and to trust you with more and more of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment